Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Something blue


A dress decision has been made...I won't be wearing a dress at all, but a skirt and top instead. I found the skirt at a resale shop last week and absolutely fell in love with it. The way it looks, the way it fits, the way it makes me feel, and of course, the color-a shade just like the ocean halfway between Galveston and the Caribbean. It's floor-length and silk, with lace in a slightly darker blue. I love the length because I will be able to wear flats with it--a requirement for the ship's deck. It's from Calypso by Christiane Celle. If I see one up for sale on eBay, I'll post a picture, otherwise I'm too lazy. Here's a swatch from a different skirt in the same fabric:

I'm currently looking for a white/ivory top to go with it, something structured to balance out the fullness. And traditional bridal accessories--pearls, a hairpiece of some kind, a bouquet. I like these roses, irises, and lillies:

The decision not to wear white all over was a toughie, because how many chances does a girl get to look like a bride? But...tradition kinda flew out the window when I decided to marry Sarah. And I haven't seen a wedding dress yet that I liked enough to even try on, much less spend big bucks on and store forever and never wear again. Blue is a favorite color, universally flattering, symbolic of loyalty and spirituality, perfect for a seaside wedding. And besides, the "ancient" tradition of bridal white only dates back as far a Queen Victoria. She had a white dress made to burn off some extra lace she had lying around, and it's been the fashion for brides ever since. Before her, a Western bride simply got married in her best dress of any color, except black (reserved for mourning) or red (associated with immorality). And Sarah likes the skirt, so there.


No comments: